Urology is the medical specialty focused on the diagnosis and treatment of diseases of the urinary tract and sexual organs of women and men. This specialized discipline includes the organs that form and transport urine, such as the kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra.
Outpatient ambulatory services
- Counselling and work-up of problems and illnesses of the urinary tract, that is, the kidneys, ureters, bladder, and urethra in both men and women
- Issues related to the male sexual organs (prostate enlargement, prostate cancer, penis abnormalities, testicular diseases)
- Questions and work-up for erectile disorders, incontinence, infertility, urinary stones, and malignant diseases
- Information and counselling prior to urological surgery and postoperative aftercare examinations
- Urine testing and urinary flow measurements
- Ultrasound (bladder, prostate, penis, and testicles)
- Determination of hormone status
- Work-up of sexually transmitted diseases and possible antibiotic therapy
- Cystoscopy (practice Basel Aeschen)
More complex examinations are performed at Baselland Cantonal Hospital, Liestal site as well as Claraspital Basel.
- Prostate biopsy under local anesthesia (or if necessary, with sedation)
- Cystoscopy, including bladder irrigation cytology (evaluation of suspicious cells in the urine)