Cardiology (non-invasive cardiology) focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of congenital and acquired heart conditions, of the circulation, of the blood vessels near the heart and of the pericardium. It also encompasses consultation and guidance for cardiovascular patients. It achieves this by means of US examination of the heart (e.g. echocardiography, stress echocardiography, Doppler and duplex echocardiography, transoesophageal echocardiography). The basic diagnostic modality is the electrocardiogram (ECG). Blood pressure diagnosis and treatment also form an important part (24 blood pressure monitor), as well as diagnosis and treatment for cardiac arrhythmias by means of different types of long-term ECGs.
Further, it focuses on cardiac pacemaker care and aftercare, as well as establishing the indication and aftercare for implantable cardioverter-defibrillators (ICD). The interdisciplinary indication for and evaluation of nuclear medical imaging and surgical treatments is established jointly with other specialisms.
- Investigation of shortness of breath (dyspnoea)
- Chest pain with tightness (angina pectoris)
- Hypertension (arterial hypertension)
- Diseases of the coronary vessels (coronary heart disease)
- Heart valve defects (valvular heart disease)
- Myocardial disease (myocarditis)
- Myocardial insufficiency (heart failure)
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Dizziness and fainting (syncope)
- Aftercare and check-ups after heart attack, balloon dilation and stent after heart surgery
- Cardiac pace maker and defibrillator check-ups